Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Back soon

Hello all. May the recently begun solar year be felicitous to you all.

I will fly out of Skopje in seven hours' time, and will tell you about the last two weeks after several long baths in Bratislava.

In the meantime, I think I will just say that those who hate the European Union are often wankers, but they aren't always wrong. I refer to this story, about how Bulgaria is being forced by the decision of the European Commission to close certain nuclear power plants for no good reason. While I am not well-disposed toward nuclear power per se, the negative implications of this closure on an unstable region seem too great to justify that closure on dubious security grounds. Macedonia and Kosovo in particular, and Bulgaria of course, will survive, with luck, but the short and medium term impact on the region, certainly important to the EU (which is taking over responsibility for overseeing Kosova politics and society as we speak). And all this in a context of concerns over energy security! (on which I expect to be working in the near future for GMF).

Okay, see you soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Serf said...

I think I will just say that those who hate the European Union are often wankers

I bow to the superior intellect of your argument.

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shome mishtake shurely. You don't know anything about energy security.

3:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyway, from what I hear, your immediate concern should be with luggage security.

4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home