Tuesday, September 19, 2006

novelty


Just when you thought maybe I had had enough of erratic internet connections, I go and prove you wrong. How naive of you. That said, it doesn't hold a torch to SWAN. But the point is that this one is in the living room in my flat what I'm living at now, which makes me x% happier than before. And having bought food, it only remains to buy bin liners and honey and I'm set. And the small matter of a bed, which I hope to sort out tomorrow...

The weekend I spent in Budapest, with Joe. For those who don't know him, Joe is the lovechild of Carl Jung, Dean Cassidy, Steve Lamacq and Noam Chomsky, which isn't necessarily a compliment. For anyone interested, he's now in Budapest until further notice. His flat is undemanding and he will make you feel at home should you wish to visit. Our weekend was full of talking around and around and walking around and around. I didn't take any photos to speak of as I'm done for now with the tourist game. I do have a photo of the sign at Gyor railway station (the o has diagonal lines over it, like rain coming from the northwest. The reason for this is the cowardly and power-tripping respective natures of two unhinged, pig-feeding gangsters working on the Hungarian railways. I will not forgive them. In my desparation I was unable to write well, so the poem Death in Gyor never got made. This is unlike my good friend and erstwhile fellow traveller Dave, who writes great even when under pressure; it is also unlike the poem Un-animus, what I did write last night. It's kind of for Oli.

Un-animus (or: An Open Motion)

Proposition: this house believes I want to die
The murmuring audience turns its head to the right, where I'm sat
Opposition: preposterous! mere speculation, and scandalous to boot!
(But you can see he doesn't catch my eye.)
As the judges consider what they've heard
I reach into my pocket and have the last word.

4 Comments:

Blogger goosefat101 said...

Thanks for the suggestion of possible readership direction. Though I'm afraid that people will just get a random thought thing rather than, I assume, the blog you were refering to.

Still all they have to do is scroll down.

You can always write the poem looking back, that sort of thing works out pretty well in general, less hot, turgid emotion and more reflective analysis, and if your emotional memory is playing well that day then you can slip a few bits of the hot and turgid in as the ope said to the veiled woman...

x

12:32 AM  
Blogger goosefat101 said...

for ope read pope!

12:32 AM  
Blogger chris said...

sorry, yes, i was being lazy. i have made the link proper now.

can anyone explain to me why, when you have an omnipotent god or gods on your side, you feel angry at being dissed by a mortal? religious leaders should condemn this sort of populist reaction, cheapening and terrestrialising their spirituality. but they know their bread is buttered first with the glue of identity and exclusiveness and merely sprinkled with specifics of [insert religion here].

as an aside (and in UK context), why is so much more credence paid to minority religious idiocy seeking to destroy art (viz the Sikh play pulled in Birmingham) than to majority (viz the Jerry Springer opera)? Why don't Sikh philistines get the same pat on the head that Christian philistines get? boo! I should probably now think more, but work presses - however, having an internet connection at home is new and juicy...

3:55 AM  
Blogger goosefat101 said...

I think it's because they secretly worry that their life might not continue after death and that they don't have god on their side. Being dissed by a mortal pretty much backs up this secret fear because the mortal isn't struck down by their God and they look stupid for this.

Like everyone who is made to look stupid and thinks that they are wrong they lash out. Well not everybody acts like that I seem to remember Jesus saying something about being cheeky.

I heartily agree with your encouragement of religious leaders to stop getting involved with all this spiritual downsizing thats going down.

Oh and sorry we didn't get your call the other night, we can't think what we might have been doing to miss it (well we can but we wish we hadn't been doing it). It was a shame. But it was nice to hear your dulcet tones on our answer service anyway.

those 1571 services are only good if you check them daily and you don't do that when you have an answer machine anyway. We must have been on the phone (or rather Jen must have been as I don't think I was cos I was still on the way back from work.)

x

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home